RAM SERVICE LETTER
RAM OIL FILTER INSTALLATION - P/N 1863-1,& -2, REV. E
PROVIDE ADDITIONAL INSTALLATION GUIDANCE MODELS
CONTINENTAL MOTORS IO-520 SERIES, TSIO-520 SERIES,
The RAM Oil Filters (P/N 1863-1,and –2, Revision E) have an improved seal to make the filter more tolerant of installation errors. It is critical that the sealing surface of the oil filter seal be lubricated with Dow Corning DC-4 compound or engine oil and that the filter be torqued to the proper 16 to 18 foot pound value.
GUIDANCE & INSPECTION:
As additional guidance, the installer should:
1. Verify that the oil filter has a “Rev. E” stamp.
2. Check that the seal is in place on the filter
3. Clean and inspect the mounting flange for smoothness, cracks etc.
4. Inspect the threaded stud for wear or defects.
5. Lubricate the seal with DC-4 or engine oil.
6. Note the orientation of the filter when the seal makes first, light contact with the flange.
7. Torque filter to 16 foot pounds (approximately ¾ turn) to 18 foot pounds (approximately 1 turn).
8. Safety wire, ground run and leak check. If the rotation of the filter falls outside of these limits
( ¾ to 1 turn), the filter should be removed, the flange surface and seal rechecked, re-lubed